In 1845 the Edinburgh and Northern Railway established a line from Burntisland, via Ladybank, across the county. It would appear that Kinghorn Station was built about then. There is no mention of an earlier building on the site and an 1832 map shows none.
Kinghorn Station was opened in 1847. The architect was most likely David Bell.
There is a similarity to other stations on the Burntisland to Cupar line; surviving buildings from that year are Markinch, Ladybank, Springfield and Cupar. Like them, Kinghorn had a flat canopy supported by cast iron columns. At Kinghorn these can be seen but at some point the canopy and columns were boxed in with wood to create a sheltered waiting area. The station still contains a functioning ticket office with many original features. It would also have had a waiting room, toilets and a coal shed on the ground floor with the station master’s flat above
Adopt a Station Scheme
Long unoccupied, the flat and waiting room were starting to fall into a state of disrepair and in bad need of attention. In 2009 under the “Adopt a Station Scheme” Lynette was able to find a new use for the empty rooms, changing them into a gallery with artist studios above.
The Station Garden was also adopted and has been relandscaped by Lynette with the help of friends. Recently in 2012, an area of waste ground nearby had a similar transformation and is now a car park for the use of visitors to the gallery. Kinghorn Station, Studios and Gallery would not have been possible without the assistance of the following;